Sunday, February 24, 2008

Squash Soup

A few years back we went to France to visit friends and they made the most delicious squash soup ever. I asked for the recipe and made it when I returned home. It turned out great.

A year later a dear friend had some hard times and came to live with us for a while. When I picked her up, she had a bag of veggies from the neighbors garden including squash.

I was thrilled to be prompted again to make the squash soup. We chatted while I made the soup and then I asked her to try it. She took a big spoonful and immediately started making a "k" sound that resembled a cat with a hairball.

I was offended of course and taking the spoon I tried it myself. Immediately my throat closed up and I too was making a hairball noise. The soup was beyond disgusting! What happened??? I had followed the recipe to letter.

Liz called her old neighbor and asked her where she got the squash and what kind it was. The neighbor replied, "Squash? I didn't give you any squash. Just gourds for a centerpiece!"

Well, there you have it. If anyone wants to cook their centerpiece, I have a great recipe for gourd soup!!!

4 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Oh my gosh! I was about to ask you for the recipe because I would love Squash soup right now! Then after this I don't think I'd want it... or do I? You are a great cook. I'd give anything for your Lasagna! Nobody makes it like Mama J.!
I miss you and am so glad you've returned to blogland!

Perky's is in our near future!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

Jean said...

Please do post the recipe - for the squash soup, that is. It sounds like good winter comfort food. Funny story!

Tonja said...

So glad you stopped by my blog. I appreciate your kind words.

Now, the soup story is hilarious! That totally sounds like something I might do.

Glad to hear you are returning to blogging. I'll check back with you soon.

Anonymous said...

What a good idea to give each of your kids a child to sponsor in their baskets!!! I love it :0)
Thank you for visiting my blog!!!
I love your soup story!
Blessings!!!